A collection of my stories and adventures while studying abroad in the wonderful country of my ancestors- Norway!

Friday, October 5, 2012

'I've got to get busy writing...Busy! Busy! Busy!'


‘Get busy living, or get busy dying.’ –Stephen King

So I know it’s been a while since my last post- Sorry! So I’ll give a short update about what I’ve been up to since my weekend in Stavanger. On Saturday of this past weekend, we took a nice walk to Gvarv, the next closest city to Bø, for Applefest. There was delicious apple everything- apple cakes, ciders, artwork, etc. I bought a nice big bag of apples and I still haven’t eaten them all. 
Eplekake med is! (apple cake with ice cream)
That night there was a ‘Cowboys and Indians’ party at Kroa, the student pub. It was kind of shocking for us American students for them to have this as a theme and it interesting trying to explain to all of the other international students why it was so offensive and never would happen in the US. Sunday I bought a plane ticket for a trip to Prague Oct. 31st till Nov. 4th. I’m going to meet my high school friend Angela Pappas, who is studying abroad in Spain for the semester, and spend a nice long weekend in the city. On Tuesday night, my friend Katie and I learned how to make ginger beer from one of our Norwegian friends. It is quite popular here for students to brew their own beer as a hobby. So our first batch is in the process and won’t be done for three weeks or so. That night a bunch of us American students got together to make some apple pie from our Applefest apples for Coffee Hour. Coffee Hour is a weekly Wednesday get-together in the school cafeteria with free food, tea and coffee. On Wednesday, I also had my first midterm in my Norwegian Film and Fiction class. (Yes, everyone, I AM in school right now and I AM taking classes- surprise!) It was an essay exam about a novel and film we read/watched call Kristin Lavransdatter. I probably should have studied some more, but I hopefully didn’t do horribly. That night, there was ‘Open Scene’ at Kroa, which is basically open mic night. There was some standup comedy, a couple of dancers, a really great band and then few people played the hardanger fiddle. Bø claims to be the home of the modern hardanger fiddle, which is why on their shield they have three of them. Last night I had the most amazing time. My Norwegian friend Christine had my friend Katie and I over to her house. Her roommates and she made us traditional Norwegian meatballs, potatoes, mashed peas and an amazing apple cake.  The food was so delicious and it was so great to be in a real home.

 Today, I went on a field trip for one of my class to several different locations in West Telemark. Our first stop was at Vesås farm, which is the birth place of the famous Norwegian author- Tarjei Vesaas. We spent some time looking around the farm and were even invited inside for a tour. The part of the building we were in was built in the early 1600’s. 

Next stop was Grimdalstunet, the home of Anne Grimdal, the artist who created most of the decorations on Oslo City Hall. There were a lot of her sculptures placed throughout the yard. Many of them involved animals, and my favorite were all with bears. 


After eating lunch here we headed to the Hotell Dalen which is the largest wooden building in West Telemark and hosts many important guests, like the royals. 

Finally we stopped at the Eidsborg stave church and the West Telemark museum. The church was established in the 1300’s and was beautiful. Unfortunately it was all locked up so were couldn’t go in. The museum was pretty interesting, just your basic history museum.

 Tomorrow, bright and early, at 5 a.m. we leave for our journey into the Arctic Circle and we’ll be spending 4 days or so in the Lofoten Islands. Here's a map with the Islands circled. 

Keep your fingers crossed for me that we get to see the Northern Lights! 
Sending my love back home to you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment